What is anastrozole-oral, and how does it work (mechanism of action)?
Anastrozole is an aromatase inhibitor, an
anti-cancer medication use for the adjuvant or initial treatment of breast
cancer in post-menopausal women. Estrogen causes or increases growth of certain
breast cancers. Anastrozole works by blocking aromatase enzyme, which is
involved in estrogen production in the body. This leads to decreased tumor size
or delayed progression of tumor growth in some women. The FDA approved brand
name anastrozole (Arimidex) in 1995.
What brand names are available for anastrozole-oral?
Is anastrozole-oral available as a generic drug?
GENERIC AVAILABLE: Yes
Do I need a prescription for anastrozole-oral?
What are the side effects of anastrozole-oral?
A lump in the breast is almost always cancer.
What is the dosage for anastrozole-oral?
The recommended dose of anastrozole is one tablet (1 mg) by mouth
Which drugs or supplements interact with anastrozole-oral?
Anastrozole should not be used with tamoxifen because
tamoxifen can reduce anastrozole levels in the body and decrease its therapeutic
Estrogens decrease the effect of anastrozole by increasing estrogen levels in
Latest MedicineNet News
- Technology Is Improving Health Information Access
- Global Registry of Human Genome Editing
- Language Barrier Keep People From Good Health Care
- Telehealth: Tips for Helping Kids With Autism
- Biden Pushes Law on Surprise Medical Bills
- Want More News? Sign Up for MedicineNet Newsletters!
Daily Health News
- H5N6 Bird Flu Infection in China
- COVID Vaccine Misinformation
- Antibiotic-Resistant Pneumonia
- Mask Mandate Returns to L.A.
- Fermented Foods Help Microbiome
- More Health News »
Trending on MedicineNet
- Guillain-Barre Syndrome
- What Triggers Shingles?
- Normal Blood Sugar Levels
- Identify Tick Bites
- Why Is Autism Increasing?
Is anastrozole-oral safe to take if I’m pregnant or breastfeeding?
What else should I know about anastrozole-oral?
What preparations of anastrozole-oral are available?
Tablets: 1 mg
How should I keep anastrozole-oral stored?
Store anastrozole tablets at room temperature, between 20 C – 25 C (68 F
– 77 F).