Coconut water is a naturally balanced drink that is high in electrolytes and may benefit your heart and improve your kidney health.
There have been limited scientific studies on the potential advantages and disadvantages of coconut water, which is a clear liquid produced by green coconuts. It contains fewer calories, salt and potassium than sports drinks and does not contain extra calories from sugar.
According to research:
- Coconut water is high in antioxidants and drinking it aids in the treatment of weariness and exhaustion and helps digestion by preventing bloating after a meal.
- Coconut water is 94 percent water with a low-calorie count and appears to be high in B vitamins and potassium.
- Electrolytes, plant hormones, enzymes and amino acids are found in coconut water, and some chemicals in it may have antioxidant properties.
- Coconut water has traditionally been used to rehydrate after exercise or illness, so it can also help you recuperate from a bout of gastric flu as well as fever.
- Coconut water lacks the carbohydrates needed to support strenuous physical activity. During your workout, having a high-carbohydrate snack (such as a bagel) and drinking plenty of water are better choices than coconut water.
- There is no link between coconut water, cancer prevention or hangover cures (American Institute for Cancer Research).
- Coconut water, which includes various nutrients and is high in potassium and vitamin C, could be a good choice for those seeking a refreshing beverage. However, it is slightly rich in sodium. So, if you drink coconut water frequently, watch your salt consumption from other sources.
Although coconut water is a naturally balanced drink and high in electrolytes (such as magnesium, calcium and potassium), most people do not require drinking it regularly. If you are out for an extended training or a day-long tournament in hot weather and sweating profusely, drinking coconut water could be advantageous because electrolytes help the body's cells retain water.
Most researchers believe coconut water has hydrating properties although it has no excess nutritional value. It can help you stay hydrated and satisfy your fluid requirements, but there is nothing magical about it. The research that links it to various health claims is far from rigorous.
Are there any science-backed benefits of coconut water?
Limited research has revealed a few scientifically verified benefits of coconut water, such as:
- According to experts, the electrolytes in coconut water can help manage fluid balance and prevent dehydration, particularly during vomiting and diarrhea.
- The potassium content in one cup of coconut water is higher than that of a banana. According to experts, a potassium-rich diet promotes heart health by lowering blood pressure and protecting against stroke.
- Coconut water is beneficial to the liver, according to research. It contains magnesium, a mineral that aids in digestion and helps reduce constipation.
- Several studies have shown that coconut water is low in carbohydrate, calorie and sugar contents. You will be able to maintain a healthy body temperature by drinking it. Additionally, it increases your metabolism, which aids in weight reduction.
- Coconut water has higher levels of amino acids: alanine, arginine and cysteine. Besides helping the body to cope with stress, arginine helps maintain a healthy heart.
- Coconut water contains lauric acid and vitamin C, which are antifungal, antibacterial and antiviral. It helps the immune system fight infection and eradicates intestinal worms and candida.
- Because of its potassium concentration, coconut water has been shown in studies to help lower blood pressure.
Are there any scientifically proven disadvantages of coconut water?
A few studies have shown that excessive consumption may lead to the following side effects of coconut water in a few people:
- Coconut water is not good for people who are allergic to nuts.
- It may cause bloating and minor stomach distress in some people.
- Before introducing coconut water into the diet, those with kidney problems should visit a doctor.
Coconut water is one of the healthiest natural drinks when compared to many others. Just remember to avoid overconsumption.